Great Orton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Balwinholme.
Alternative names: Orton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1568
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1665
- Carlisle Holy Trinity
- Carlisle St Mary
- Burgh by Sands
- Kirkandrews on Eden with Beaumont
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ORTON, a village, a township, and a parish in Carlisle district, Cumberland. The village stands 3½ miles N of Curthwaite r. station, and 5 W by S of Carlisle: is an ancient place, of quaint appearance; and was fortified, in the old times, with earthworks for defence against the Border rivers. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Real property, £1,997. Pop. in 1851, 285. Houses, 47. The parish contains also the township of Baldwin holme; and its post town is Carlisle. Acres, 4,277. Real property, £4,368. Pop.in 1851, 519; in 1861, 468. Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir R. Briscoe, Bart. An eminence, called Parson’s Thorn, commands an extensive view of Cumberland and part of Scotland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. value, £370. Patron, Sir R. Briscoe, Bart. The church stands on an eminence; and is an ancient structure, in tolerable condition. Charities, £5. Archbishop Nicolson, the antiquary, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Parish register of St. Giles, Great Orton, 1568-1812 : an alphabetical index Author: Grigg, Roland; Gilbanks, William Foster; Church of England. Parish Church of St. Giles (Great Orton, Cumberland); Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Carlisle
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Carlisle
- Hundred: Cumberland Ward
- Province: York