Gosforth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Boon Wood, Newton, and Bolton and Boonwood.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1571
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GOSFORTH, a village and a parish in Whitehaven district, Cumberland. The village stands 3 miles ENE of Sea-scale r. station, and 6¾ SE by S of Egremont; and has a post-office under Whitehaven. The parish includes also the hamlets of Bolton, Boon-Wood, and Newton. Acres, 8,626; of which 226 are water. Real property, exclusive of Newton, £5,032. Pop., 1,146. Houses, 221. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £104. Patrons, the Representatives of Sir H. F. Senhouse. The church shows Norman features, and is neat and good. A tall pillar, supposed to be Danish, sculptured all over with curious devices, stands in the churchyard, and was formerly surmounted by a cross. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Whitehaven
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Copeland
- Poor Law Union: Whitehaven
- Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
- Province: York