Gilcrux is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1589
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GILCRUX, a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland; on the river Ellen, adjacent to the Carlisle and Maryport railway, about a mile from Bull-Gill r. station, and 5½ NNW of Cockermouth. Post town, Plumbland, under Carlisle.
Acres, 1,964. Real property, £4,728; of which £2,000 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 504; in 1861, 653. Houses, 117. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of coal mines. The property is divided among a few. Coal, limestone, and freestone, abound. There are numerous springs of excellent water. and a remarkable spring of salt-water.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is ancient An endowed school has £24.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Cockermouth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Cockermouth
- Hundred: Allerdale below Derwent Ward
- Province: York