Farlam is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: East Farlam and West Farlam.
Parish church: St Thomas a Becket
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1663
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1665
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FARLAM, two townships and a parish in Brampton district, Cumberland. The townships are E and W Farlam; and they lie about 1¼ mile E of the Milton station of the Carlisle and Newcastle railway, and 2¾ ESE of Brampton. Acres, with Midgeholm extra-parochial tract, 5,680. Real property, £3,246 and £945. Pop., 813 and 498. Houses, 149 and 91. The parish consists of the two townships; and its post town is Milton, under Carlisle. Coal is worked; and limestone is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £143. Patron, the Earl of Carlisle. The church was built in 1861, at a cost of about £1,600; and is in the early English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
FARLAM (St. Thomas a Becket), a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland ; containing 1035 inhabitants, of whom 526 are in the township of East Farlam, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Brampton, and 509 in that of West Farlam. The parish comprises by admeasurement 5164 acres, of which about one-third is arable, and the remainder pasture and meadow, with a portion of woodland ; the substratum is chiefly limestone and coal, the former extensively quarried and burnt into lime, and the latter worked in the adjoining parish of Hayton. At Milton is an intermediate station on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £98; patron and impropriator, Earl of Carlisle. A school is supported by subscription.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Brampton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Brampton
- Hundred: Eskdale Ward
- Province: York