Eskdale is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1747 from chapelry in St Bees Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Eskdale and Wasdale
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1625
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ESKDALE, a chapelry in St. Bees parish, Cumberland; on the river Esk, 7 miles NE by E of Ravenglass r. station. It has a post office under Whitehaven. Acres, 13,000. Real property, with Wasdale, £1,728. Pop., 346. Houses, 63. The property is much sub-divided. The surface consists largely of moor and mountain. Micaceous iron ore is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £66. Patron, W. Stanley, Esq. The church is very good; and there are charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Bootle
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Copeland
- Poor Law Union: Bootle
- Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
- Province: York