Ennerdale is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1743 from a chapelry in St Bees Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Copeland Forest and Kinniside.
Alternative names: Ennerdale Bridge
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1638
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
- Nether Wasdale
- Beckermet St Bridget
- Salter and Eskett
- Wasdale Head
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ENNERDALE, a township, a chapelry, a vale, and a lake, in Cumberland. The township and the chapelry are in St. Bees parish; and they lie around Ennerdale-Bridge village, situated on the river Eden, 1½ mile W of Ennerdale Lake, 2¾ NE of Cleator r. station, and 6½ ESE of Whitehaven. Post town, Cleator, under Whitehaven. Acres of the township, 17,782; of which 784 are water. Real property, £1,666. Pop., 254. Houses, 47.
The chapelry is larger than the township. Rated property, £1,915. Pop., 499. The property is much subdivided. The surface is largely moorish and mountainous. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £75. Patron, Henry Curwen, Esq. The church is neat and good; and the churchyard contains monuments.
Ennerdale vale is the vale of Liza river, Ennerdale lake, and the upper part of Eden river. Ennerdale lake, or Ennerdale water, extends west-north-westward from a point geographically 2¾ miles WSW of the foot of Buttermere; is 2¾ miles long; varies in breadth from about a furlong to ½ a mile; and has a maximum depth of 80 feet. It receives, at its head, the river Liza; and discharges, at its foot, the river Eden.
Its basin is closely flanked by wild craggy heights, passing up into moor and mountain; and is continuous with the alpine glen of Liza, leading up to the magnificent mountains called the Pillar, the Steeple, and the Great Gable. Access to a carriage exists only by the foot, and along the north side, to Gillerthwaite, about a mile above the lake’s head. An inn stands about ¾ of a mile from the foot; and How Hall, or Castle How, anciently the seat of the Patricksons, now the property of the Senhouses, situated near the inn, commands a full view of nearly all the lake, and of the best portion of the heights around and above it.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Whitehaven
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries – Copeland
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Copeland
- Poor Law Union: Whitehaven
- Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
- Province: York