Edenhall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Alternative names: Edenhall with Langwathby
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EDENHALL, a township and a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Eden, near Inglewood forest and the boundary with Westmoreland, 3½ miles ENE of Penrith r. station; and has a post-office under Penrith. The parish comprises 3,354 acres. Real property, £3,471. Pop., 287. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Stapletons, and passed to the Musgraves. Eden-hall House is the seat of Sir George Musgrave, Bart.; is an edifice of white stone, recently rebuilt, in a style of much elegance; stands amid sloping grounds, tastefully adorned; and contains a curious ancient drinking-glass, called the Luck of Edenhall, fabled to have been obtained from fairies, noted in several romantic ballads, and sung in a poem of three cantos by the Rev. B. Porteous. Much land, formerly waste, was recently reclaimed. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Langwathby, in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £320. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is beautiful and good; has a low battlemented tower; and contains monuments of the Musgraves, and a brass of one of the Stapletons. A school has £5 from endowment; and other charities £40.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Memorial inscriptions of melmerby, Ousby, kirkland, Skirwith & Culgaith, also, addenda to Croglin, Cumrew, Edenhall, Gamblesby, Kirkoswald, & Renwick, volume 4 Author: Godwin, Jeremy; Clarke, Pat; Smith, Alan
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Penrith
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Penrith
- Hundred: Leath Ward
- Province: York