Drigg is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Alternative names: Dregg, Drigg and Carleton
Other places in the parish include: Carleton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1631
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DRIGG, or Dregg, a township and a parish in Bootle district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Irt, and on the Whitehaven and Furness railway, near the coast, 2 miles NW by N of Ravenglass; and has a station on the railway. The parish includes also the township of Carleton; and its post town is Ravenglass, under Whitehaven. Acres, 5,347; of which 1,737 are water. Real property, £3,198. Pop., 440. Houses, 83. The property is much subdivided. The land is chiefly sandy; but is noted for the produce of potatoes. Vitrified vertical tubes, from 1 to 1½ inch in diameter, down to a depth of 30 feet, supposed to be an effect of lightning, have been found in a mound of drifted sand and gravel, 40 feet high. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £88. Patron, J. O. Ryder, Esq. The church is very good; and there are charities £16.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Bootle
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland
Rural Deanery: Copeland
Poor Law Union: Bootle
Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward