Distington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Alternative names: Dishington
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1616
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Workington St John
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DISTINGTON, a village and a parish in Whitehaven district, Cumberland. The village stands near the coast, 2 miles SE of Harrington r. station, and 3½ S of Workington; and has a post office under Whitehaven. The parish comprises 2,910 acres. Real property, £4,434. Pop., 785. Houses, 178. The property is much sub-divided. Hayes Castle, now a ruin at the southern extremity of the village, was the seat of the Moresbys. Building stone, limestone, and coal are worked; and manufactures of tools, hats, and thread are carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, 301. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is very good; and there are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Whitehaven
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland
Rural Deanery: Copeland
Poor Law Union: Whitehaven
Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward