Dearham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.

Other places in the parish include: Ellenborough and Ewanrigg and Unerigg.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1662
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist. 

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DEARHAM, a township and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The township adjoins the Carlisle and Maryport railway, 2½ miles ENE of Maryport; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Maryport. Acres, 2,153. Real property, £7,747; of which £3,799 are in mines. Pop., 1,509. Houses, 325.

The parish contains also the township of Ellenborough and Ewanrigg. Acres, 3,377; of which 250 are water. Real property, £15,775; of which £8,743 are in mines. Pop., 2,595. Houses, 538. The property is much sub-divided. There are extensive collieries and a porcelain manufactory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £85. Patron, J. Christian, Esq. The church has a carved Saxon font; and was recently in disrepair.

There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and charities £32.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

DEARHAM, a parish, in the union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; comprising the townships of Dearham, and Ellenborough with Ewanrigg, and containing 1803 inhabitants, of whom 1037 are in the township of Dearham, 6¼ miles (N. W.) from Cockermouth.

There are extensive collieries, and a manufactory for earthenware, in the parish; a considerable quantity of the coal is shipped at Maryport adjoining.

The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £4. 13. 4.; net income, £85; patron, John Christian, Esq.; impropriators, the Earl of Lonsdale, and J. Christian and H. Senhouse, Esqrs. The vicarial tithes were commuted for land in 1825. The church, originally of Norman architecture, was much modernised by repairs in 1814; it has an ancient and curiously carved font, and in the churchyard is a sculptured cross. Near Unerigg Hall is the site of an old castle.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

FamilySearch

England, Cumberland, Dearham – Cemeteries ( 1 )
The memorial inscriptions of St. Mungo’s Church, Dearham
Author: Smith, D.; Reed, Elsie

England, Cumberland, Dearham – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Dearham, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Cumberland, Dearham – Church records ( 1 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Dearham, 1663-1869
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Dearham (Cumberland)

England, Cumberland, Dearham – Church records – Indexes ( 4 )
Allerdale burial index
Author: Cumbria Family History Society

Computer printout of Dearham, Cumb., Eng

Parish register printouts of Dearham, Cumberland, England ; christenings, 1737-1869
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Dearham, Cumberland, England ; marriages, 1737-1837
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Directories

Kelly’s Directory of the Leather Trades 1880

DEARHAM

Boot & Shoe Makers & Dealers
Blackburn John
Graham James
Pattinson Isaac
Tiffen John

Clog & Patten Makers
Archer Wilson
Asbridge John

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Cockermouth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Allerdale
  • Poor Law Union: Cockermouth
  • Hundred: Allerdale below Derwent Ward
  • Province: York

Related Parishes