Dean is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Braithwaite, Branthwaite, Deanscales, Ullock, and Pardshaw.
Parish church: St. Oswald
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1542
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DEAN, a township and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Marron, 3½ miles SSE of Camerton r. station, and 5 SW of Cockermouth. Real property, £2,312; of which £170 are in mines. Pop., 195. Houses, 36. The parish contains also the townships of Ullock and Branthwaite; the former of which includes the hamlet of Deanscales. Post town, Lamplugh, under Cockermouth. Acres, 6,360. Real property, £7,204. Pop., 829. Houses, 163. Coal and building-stone occur. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £318. Patron, the Rev. S. Sherwen. The church is old. A grammar school has £10 from endowment; and other charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
DEAN (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; containing, with the townships of Branthwaite and Ullock, 876 inhabitants, of whom 226 are in the township of Dean, 5 miles (S. W.) from Cockermouth. This parish comprises about 6500 acres. The soil of nearly one-half is a wet clay, and the remaining half contains every variety, from the lightest sand and gravel to the richest loam; the surface is pleasingly undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by the small river Marron, which abounds with trout. The substrata are coal, limestone, and iron-ore, and many of the population are employed in mines, and in quarries of a red and white freestone, and a black stone, here called cat-scalp. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £19. 3. 1½.; net income, £318; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Samuel Sherwin. The tithes were commuted for land in 1809; the glebe lands comprise altogether 650 acres, of which the greater portion is of very inferior quality. A free grammar school was founded in 1596, by John Fox, with an endowment of £10 per annum, paid by the Goldsmith’s Company, London; the schoolroom was rebuilt in the year 1615, at the expense of his son.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Cumberland Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Cockermouth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries – Copeland
Rural Deanery: Copeland
Poor Law Union: Cockermouth
Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward