Cumwhitton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1740 from chapelry in Wetheral Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Northscleugh with Moorthwaite.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1695
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1665
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CUMWHITTON, a township and a parish in Brampton district, Cumberland. The township lies near the river Eden, 2¾ miles S by E of How Mill r. station, and 7¾ ESE of Carlisle. Real property, £1,875. Pop., 222. Houses, 50. The parish contains also the township of Northscleugh-with-Moorthwaite; and its post town is Corby, under Carlisle. Acres, 5,400. Real property, £5,148. Pop., 529. Houses, 106. The property is subdivided. The surface contains some fine scenery. A waste tract in the south-east, called King Harry, has the Druidical circle of Grey Yauds, 52 yards in diameter, with 88 stones. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £102. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is tolerable.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CUMWHITTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; comprising the townships of Cumwhitton, Moorthwaite, and Northsceugh; and containing 533 inhabitants, of whom 242 are in the township of Cumwhitton, 9 miles (E. S. E.) from Carlisle. The parish comprises 5400a. 2r. 29p., the whole of which is arable, with the exception of about 140 acres of meadow, the ground occupied by a few Scottish firs and larches, and the plantations on the banks of the Eden. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £102; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is in the Norman style, and consists of a nave, chancel, and north aisle; a tower was built in 1810, and the ancient lancet windows have been displaced for others of larger dimensions. On an eminence called “King Harry” is a Druidical temple, the stones of which, 90 in number, are placed in a circular position; and the lines of intrenchments may be traced on the common.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Poorhouses & Poor Law
Cumberland Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Brampton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Brampton
- Hundred: Eskdale Ward
- Province: York