Cumrew is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Cumrew Inside and Cumrew Outside.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1676
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1665
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CUMREW, a village, two townships, and a parish, in Brampton district, Cumberland. The village stands at the west foot of Cumrew Fell, 4¾ miles S by E of Milton r. station, and 6 N by E of Kirkoswald. The townships are Cumrew-Inside and Cumrew-Outside. The parish consists of these townships; and its post town is Croglin, under Penrith. Acres, 2, 694. Real property, £3, 435. Pop., 136. Houses, 30. The property is divided among a few. Cumrew House is the seat of J. Gill, Esq. Dunwalloght Castle, now a confused ruin, was a seat of the Dacres. Cumrew Fell, a mountain ridge extending north and south, is crowned by a vast cairn, called Cardunneth. Another cairn is near the church; and two others elsewhere have yielded a rough stone coffin and a pottery urn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £81. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CUMREW, a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 7 miles (S. by E.) from Brampton; comprising the townships of Cumrew Inside and Outside, the former containing 112, and the latter 71, inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Gelt, and comprises 2694a. 2r. 10p., of which about 950 acres are arable, and the rest, with the exception of 30 acres of wood, high moorland pasture inclosed about 35 years ago. The soil on the level grounds is a good loamy earth; and in the western district, which is mountainous, there is good limestone. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £81; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The tithes have been commuted for £89. 13. 4., and the glebe comprises 17½ acres. There are several cairns, one of which, Carduneth, on the summit of a hill, is of immense size; and near the river are the ruins of a large castle formerly belonging to the Dacres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
The Memorial inscriptions of melmerby, Ousby, kirkland, Skirwith & Culgaith, also, addenda to Croglin, Cumrew, Edenhall, Gamblesby, Kirkoswald, & Renwick, volume 4 Author: Godwin, Jeremy; Clarke, Pat; Smith, Alan
Cumberland Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Brampton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Brampton
- Hundred: Eskdale Ward
- Province: York