CANONBY (Cross), a township and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Ellen, the Mayport and Carlisle railway, and the Solway frith, 2 miles NE of Maryport. Acres, 1,093; of which 426 are water. Real property, £4,571; of which £650 are in mines. Pop., 87. Houses, 17. The parish includes also the townships of Crosby and Birkby, and the chapelry of Maryport; and its Post Town is Maryport. Acres, 3,911; of which 993 are water. Rated property, £14,111. Pop., 6,900. Houses, 1,492. The property is much subdivided. Coal and stone are worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is partly Norman, and very good. The p. curacy of Maryport is a separate benefice.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CANNONBY, CROSS (St. John), a parish, in the union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; comprising the town of Maryport, and the townships of Birkby, CrossCannonby, and Crossby; the whole containing 5731 inhabitants, of whom 59 are in the township of CrossCannonby, 2½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Maryport. This parish, which is situated on the shore of the Solway Firth, and bounded on the south by the river Ellen, comprises by computation 2415 acres. It contains coal and freestone; and in a quarry of the latter, some implements supposed to be Roman were found a few years ago, from which it is thought that the stone used in erecting the Roman station at Ellenborough was obtained here. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, the appropriators; with a net income of £150. The church is of early Norman architecture. There is a chapel at Maryport.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848