Crosby on Eden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Low Crosby, Waldby, Walby, Wolby, High Crosby, and Brunstock.
Alternative names: Crosby upon Eden
Parish church: St. John
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1649
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1664
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CROSBY-UPON-EDEN, a parish in Carlisle district, Cumberland; on the river Eden and the Roman wall, 3 miles N by E of Scotby r. station, and 3¾ NE of Carlisle. It contains the townships of High Crosby, Low Crosby, Brunstock, and Wolby; and has a post office, of the name of Crosby, under Carlisle. Acres, 3, 590. Real property, £4, 292. Pop., 426. Houses, 75. The property is much subdivided. Crosby House is a chief residence. There are freestone quarries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £90. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CROSBY-UPON-EDEN (St. John), a parish, in the union of Carlisle, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Carlisle; containing 403 inhabitants, of whom 146 are in the township of High Crosby, and 133 in that of Low Crosby. This place is supposed to have derived its name from an ancient cross, to which, in the time of Henry I., the inhabitants resorted for prayer, previously to the erection of the present church on its site. The parish is finely situated on the river Eden, by which it is bounded for nearly three miles, and is intersected by the military road from Newcastle to Carlisle; the southern portion forms part of the fertile vale of Eden, and towards the north the surface rises to a considerable elevation, commanding extensive and richly varied prospects. Freestone of a reddish colour, and of a fine compact texture, is obtained in the neighbourhood. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £3. 11. 5½.; net income, £100; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church, situated in the village of Low Crosby, is a small ancient edifice. An additional church has been erected; and a national school, built in 1806, is supported by subscription. In the northern part of the parish, the sites of the Roman wall built by Severus, and of the ditch by Adrian, are plainly discernible.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Cumberland Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Carlisle
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Carlisle
- Hundred: Eskdale Ward
- Province: York