Croglin is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1646
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1668
Nonconformists include: Methodist
- Alston with Garrigill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CROGLIN, a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland; on the Croglin river, under Cumrew Fell, 4 miles NNE of Kirkoswald, and 7½ SSE of Milton r. station. It has a post office under Penrith. Acres, 9,180. Real property, £1,773. Pop., 254. Houses, 58. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Hastingses, the Whartons, and the Wyndhams. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £300. Patron, the Rev. E. Bowman. The church is partly early English; is in tolerable condition; and has a curious stone cross. A school has £24 from endowment; and had, for a pupil, Dr. Locke, the founder of Westminster lying-in-hospital.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Memorial inscriptions of melmerby, Ousby, kirkland, Skirwith & Culgaith, also, addenda to Croglin, Cumrew, Edenhall, Gamblesby, Kirkoswald, & Renwick, volume 4 Author: Godwin, Jeremy; Clarke, Pat; Smith, Alan
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Penrith
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Penrith
- Hundred: Leath Ward
- Province: York