Cleator is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Cleator Lane End and Cleater Moor.
Alternative names: Cleater
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1572
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic, Unitarian and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Low Keekle
- Beckermet St John
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLEATOR, three villages and a parish in White-haven district, Cumberland. The villages are Cleator, Cleator Moor, and Cleator-Lane-End; the first stands on the river Eden, 4 miles SE by S of Whitehaven; the others are within a mile of this; all three have post offices under Whitehaven, that of Cleator Moor with; and Cleator Moor has likewise a station on a branch line of 2 miles, called the Cleator branch of the Whitehaven and Egremont railway. The parish comprises 2,844 acres. Real property, £29,387; of which £23,201 are in mines, and £900 in iron-works. Pop., 3,995. Houses, 637. The property is much subdivided. The Flosh, adjacent to Cleator village, is the seat of T. Ainsworth. Esq. There are two factories, and extensive collieries and ironworks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £79. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is tolerable; and there are chapels for Wesleyans, Unitarians, and Roman Catholics.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Whitehaven
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Copeland
- Poor Law Union: Whitehaven
- Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
- Province: York