Castle Sowerby is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Row Bound, Stockdalewath, Southernby Bound, Southernby, Stockdalewath Bound, How Bound, Bustabeck Bound, and Bustabeck.
Parish church: St. Kentigern
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1609
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1664
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker and Wesleyan Methodist.
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CASTLE-SOWERBY, a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland; in Inglewood forest, under Carrock fell, 3 miles SE by E of Hesket-Newmarket, and 7 W of Plumpton r. station. It contains the townships of Bustabeck-Bound, How-Bound, Row-Bound, Southernby-Bound, and Stockdalewath-Bound; and its Post Town is Hesket-Newmarket, under Wigton. Acres, 7,940. Real property, £5,112. Pop., 906. Houses, 194. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. An ancient fortress stood near the church; and an old circular fort is at How-hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £90. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is tolerable. The p. curacy of Raughton-Head is a separate benefice.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SOWERBY, CASTLE (St. Kentigern), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 3¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Hesket-Newmarket; containing, with the chapelry of Raughton-Head, and the townships of Bustabeck-Bound, How-Bound, Row-Bound, Southernby-Bound, and Stockdalewath-Bound, 1007 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £17. 10. 5.; net income, £98, with a glebe-house; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The tithes, with certain exceptions, were commuted for land in 1767. A school is endowed with £10 per annum. At Raughton-Head is a separate incumbency; and at Birksceugh are the remains of a chapel called Lady Chapel.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Poorhouses & Poor Law
|Bing Maps UK||Map||OS maps||Aerial||Bird’s Eye|
|Vision of Britain historical maps||Map||OS maps|
|Ordnance Survey||OS maps||See other OS
map links below
|Defra’s MAGIC service||Map|
|National Library of Scotland||OS maps|
|Old OS maps||OS maps|
|Where’s the Path?||Map|
|SABRE Maps||Map||OS maps|
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Penrith
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Penrith
- Hundred: Leath Ward
- Province: York