Castle Carrock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1679
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1666
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CASTLE-CARROCK, a parish in Brampton district, Cumberland; on the river Gelt under Cumrew fell, 3 miles SE of How-Mill r. station, and 4 S of Brampton. It has a post office under Carlisle. Acres, 3,640. Real property, £2,026. Pop., 337. Houses, 65. The property is much subdivided. Limestone and freestone abound; and there are two mineral springs. Traces exist of two ancient military strengths. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £159. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1828. There are an Independent chapel and an endowed school the latter with £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CASTLE-CARROCK (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4½ miles (S. by E.) from Brampton; containing 351 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 5500 acres, the soil of which on the west is dry, gravelly, and very stony; and on the east, which is rugged and mountainous, good for grazing, resting on extensive beds of limestone and freestone. It is bounded on the east and north by the small river Gelt, which rises in the royal forest of Geltsdale, a hilly tract of moorland. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £5. 12. 11.; net income, £159; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The tithes were commuted for land in 1801. The church is a neat structure, built of freestone in 1828. The former edifice is supposed to have been built out of the ruins of an ancient castle that stood within an intrenchment near the village, the lines of which are distinctly visible: there is another intrenchment at a short distance. Upon the summit of a long and lofty fell, forming the northern point of the range of mountains extending from Cross Fell, near Alston, are two cairns, one of which, called Hespeckraise, is of considerable magnitude: on the removal of another cairn near Gelt Bridge, about 1775, a human skeleton was discovered in a species of coffin made of rude stones. Near the church is a mineral spring, the water of which is of the same quality as that of Gilsland spa.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Poorhouses & Poor Law
|Bing Maps UK||Map||OS maps||Aerial||Bird’s Eye|
|Vision of Britain historical maps||Map||OS maps|
|Ordnance Survey||OS maps||See other OS
map links below
|Defra’s MAGIC service||Map|
|National Library of Scotland||OS maps|
|Old OS maps||OS maps|
|Where’s the Path?||Map|
|SABRE Maps||Map||OS maps|
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Brampton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Brampton
- Hundred: Eskdale Ward
- Province: York