Burgh by Sands is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Dykesfield, Shield, Moorhouse, Moor House, Longburgh, Landburgh, Thurstonfield, Burgh West End, Burgh Marsh, Burgh Head, Boustead Hill, and Bonstead Hill.
Alternative names: Burgh-Upon-The-Sands
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1592
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BURGH-BY-SANDS, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict in Carlisle district, Cumberland. The township lies on the Roman wall and on the Carlisle and Silloth railway, 2 miles S of the influx of the Eden to the Solway Frith, and 5¼ NW by W of Carlisle; and has a station, of the name of Burgh, on the railway, and a post-office, of the name of Burgh-by-Sands, under Carlisle. The Roman station Axelodunum is believed by many antiquaries to have been here; some traces either of that station or of the Roman wall can still be seen; and a number of Roman urns, altars, and inscribed stones have been found. A castle also was erected here soon after the Conquest; captured, in 1174, by William the Lion of Scotland; and committed, in 1253, to the keeping of Stephen Longespec; but has disappeared. Real property, £2,851. Pop., 460. Houses, 106. The parish contains also the townships of Longburgh, Bonstead-Hill, and Moor-House. Acres, 7,839; of which 2,478 are water. Real property, £7,048. Pop., 986. Houses, 215. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the De Morvilles; was given to the Abbey of Holme-Cultram; passed to the Multores, the Dacres, and the Howards; and belongs now to the Earl of Lonsdale. The tract upon the Solway has, in recent times, been encroached on by the sea; and is protected by embankments. The parish was the scene, in old times, especially in 1216 and 1520, of many encounters between the English and the Scots; and a spot in it, about a mile N of the village, was the death place of Edward I. An obelisk, commemorative of this event, was built on the spot, in 1685, by the Duke of Norfolk; fell down in 1795; and was rebuilt, in 1805. by the Earl of Lonsdale. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £120. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a Norman door and a castellated tower; was constructed as much for military defence as for public worship; and is still in good condition. Charities, £10. The subdistrict contains four parishes. Acres, 11,249. Pop., 1,493. Houses, 317.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BURGH-UPON-THE-SANDS (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Carlisle, Cumberland ward, E. division of the county of Cumberland; comprising the townships of Boustead-Hill, Burgh, Longburgh, and Moorhouse; and containing 1003 inhabitants, of whom 512 are in the township of Burgh, 5½ miles (W. N. W.) from Carlisle. Close to the village, on the northern side, and on the site now called the Old Castle, stood the Roman station Axelodunum, the sixteenth on the line of Severus’ Wall, and the spot where Adrian’s vallum terminated: the lines of the ramparts, which are still visible, include an area about 136 yards square, in which, and in the vicinity, urns, altars, and inscribed stones have been dug up. A castle, built after the Conquest, but of which there are no remains, is stated to have been seized in 1174, by William, King of Scotland; and several encounters between the English and the Scots occurred in the parish, of which the most sanguinary were those in 1216 and 1520. Edward I. died here, on the 7th of July, 1307, whilst on an expedition against Scotland: this event was commemorated in 1685, by Henry, Duke of Norfolk, by the erection of an obelisk, which fell down on the 4th of March, 1795, and was rebuilt by the Earl of Lonsdale, in 1803. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £5. 1. 10½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £120; impropriators of the corn tithes, the landowners. The church exhibits evident marks of having been constructed, like some others on the border, as a place of occasional retreat and defence.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Cumberland Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Carlisle
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Carlisle
Poor Law Union: Carlisle
Hundred: Cumberland Ward