Brigham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Eaglesfield, Horton, Greysouthen, Graysouthen, Whin Fell, Brackenthwaite, Blindbothel, and Whinfell.
Parish church: St. Bridget
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRIGHAM, a township and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Derwent, and on the Cockermouth and Workington railway, 2 miles W of Cockermouth; and has a station on the railway. Real property, £4,365. Pop., 504. Houses, 122. The parish contains also the town and chapelry of Cockermouth, and the townships of Blindbothel, Graysouthen, Setmurthy, Eaglesfield, Mossar, Buttermere, Whinfell, and Embleton; and its Post Town is Cockermouth. Acres, 22,580. Real property, £46,142. Pop., 7,874. Houses, 1,663. The property is much subdivided. The surface is greatly diversified, ranging from soft valley to bold high mountain; and contains much brilliant scenery. Limestone, freestone, slate, and coal are worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £190. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is decorated English, in good condition. The chapelries of Cockermouth, Lorton, Mossar, Setmurthy, Wythop, Embleton, and Buttermere are separate benefices. There are a number of dissenting chapels, and charities £142.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BRIGHAM (St. Bridget), a parish, comprising the borough and market-town of Cockermouth, and the townships of Blindbothel, Brigham, Buttermere, Eaglesfield, Embleton, Gray-Southan, Mosser, Setmurthy, and Whinfell, in the union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; the whole containing 7397 inhabitants, of whom 490 are in the township of Brigham, 2 miles (W.) from Cockermouth. This parish is situated among the lakes Bassenthwaite, Buttermere, Crummock, and Loweswater, which, with the rivers Derwent and Maron, form its boundaries; and is intersected by the Cocker, which falls into the Derwent at Cockermouth. The surface is hilly, but since the inclosure of the waste land, the high grounds have been chiefly brought into cultivation: there are quarries of limestone, freestone, and blue slate, and a mine of coal has been opened. The village, which contains some respectable dwelling-houses, is built upon an eminence on the south bank of the Derwent, commanding a richly diversified prospect. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £20. 16. 0½ net income, £190; patrons and impropriators, the family of Lowther, to whom, in 1813, land was assigned in lieu of all tithes for the township of Brigham. The church, situated at the distance of half a mile from the village, has a handsome window of five lights in the decorated style, at the east end of the south aisle; a curious circular window of the same date; and a monumental arch richly canopied. A chapel of ease was erected by the Rev. Dr. Thomas, in 1840; and there are separate incumbencies at Buttermere, Cockermouth, Embleton, Lorton, Mosser, Setmurthy, and Wythrop. The dissenters have several places of worship.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Cumberland Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Cockermouth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries – Copeland
Rural Deanery: Copeland
Poor Law Union: Cockermouth
Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward