Brampton is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Easby, Great Easby, and Naworth.
Parish church: St. Martin
Parish registers begin: 1663
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian Church in England, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Brampton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRAMPTON, a small town, a township, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district, in Cumberland. The town stands in a deep narrow vale, near the confluence of the rivers Irthing and Gelt, 1½ mile N of Milton r. station, 2 S of the Roman wall, and 9 ENE of Carlisle. It is thought by Camden to occupy the site of the Roman station Brementuracum; it rose early to some importance, as a seat of population, and a centre of strength; it sustained much damage during the wars in the time of Edward II.; it was occupied, in 1715, by the troops of the Pretender, and in 1745 by those of Prince Charles Edward. It is long, and irregularly built; and has few modern houses. The town hall is an octagonal structure, resting on piazzas; and was erected in 1817. The parish church is a spacious edifice, of 1788, built in lieu of an ancient one about a mile distant. The grammar school, near the church, occupies the site of an hospital, founded in 1688. The workhouse was erected at a cost of £1,250. There are chapels for Presbyterians, Independents, and Methodists. The town has a post office under Carlisle, and two chief inns; and is a seat of petty sessions, and a polling-place. A weekly market is held on Wednesday, and fairs on 20 April, Trinity Wednesday, the second Wednesday of Sept., and 23 Oct. Some cotton manufacture and extensive brewing are carried on. A mineral railway goes to Tindal fell; and a railway to Longtown was authorised in 1866. Pop., 2,379. Houses, 514.
The township extends into the country. Real property, £10,742. Pop., 2,933. Houses, 619. The parish contains also the township of Easby and Naworth. Acres, 16,970. Real property, £16,871. Pop., 3,585. Houses, 733. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carlisle. Naworth Castle is the Earl of Carlisle’s seat; and was formerly that of the Dacre family. Freestone is quarried. A famous Roman inscription, noticed by Camden, is still visible on a rock overhanging the Gelt. An ancient camp occurs on Castle-hill, with very extensive views. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £466. Patron, the Earl of Carlisle. The subdistrict contains the parishes of Brampton, Farlam, Nether Denton, and Upper Denton, the extra-parochial tract of Midgeholm, and part of the parish of Lanercost. Pop., 5,501. Houses, 1,097. The district comprehends also the sub. district of Walton, containing the parishes of Walton and Irthington, and part of the parish of Lanercost; and the subdistrict of Hayton, containing the parishes of Hayton, Cumrew, Cumwhitton, and Castle-Carrock, the extra-parochial tract of Carlatton, and part of the parish of Wetherel. Acres, 95,473. Poor-rates in 1866, £4,488. Pop. in 1861, 10,866. Houses, 2,170. Marriages in 1866, 55; births, 307, of which 53 were illegitimate; deaths, 195, of which 42 were at ages under 5 years, and 12 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 443; births, 3,211; deaths, 1,838. The places of worship in 1851, were 12 of the Church of England, with 2,987 sittings; 1 of the Presbyterian church in England, with 200 s.; 1 of Independents, with 250 s.; and 12 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,250 s. The schools were 11 public day schools, with 532 scholars; 7 private day schools, with 392 s.; and 15 Sunday schools, with 1,102 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BRAMPTON (St. Martin), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the townships of Easby and Naworth, 3304 inhabitants, of whom 2754 are in the town, 9½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Carlisle, and 305 (N. by W.) from London. According to Camden, this was the site of the Roman station Bremetenracum, which some modern writers, with more probability, have fixed at Old Penrith. The town sustained extensive damage during the wars of Edward II.; of which, as well as of its earlier importance, it still exhibits evident marks. In Nov. 1715, a large force under the command of Mr. Forster, who had received a general’s commission from James Stuart, entered the town, where they proclaimed the Pretender; and hence marched to Penrith. During the rebellion of 1745, the young Pretender led his troops hither, to observe the motions of Gen. Wade, who was mistakenly reported to be marching from Newcastle to the relief of Carlisle; and after remaining here several days, he proceeded to Carlisle, which had surrendered to his arms.
The town is situated between the small rivers Irthing and Gelt, tributaries to the Eden, about one mile south of the former, and two and a half from the point where they unite; and lies about two miles south of the Picts’ wall. It occupies a deep narrow vale embosomed in hills, and consists principally of two streets irregularly built, and a spacious market-place; the houses have been mostly rebuilt, and are of handsome appearance: the inhabitants are well supplied with water. The manufacture of gingham employs nearly 700 persons: there are two breweries. The railway between Newcastle and Carlisle passes a mile and a half to the south, and is connected with the town by a good road, and also by means of the Earl of Carlisle’s railway, which reaches to the extensive coal and lime works at Tindal Fell, and by which coal and lime are brought hither in abundance. The market is on Wednesday, and is well supplied with corn, admitted toll-free; fairs are held on April 20th, the second Wednesday after Whitsuntide, the second Wednesday in Sept., and the 23rd of Oct., for hornedcattle, horses, and pigs. The county magistrates hold a petty-session every alternate Wednesday; and courts leet and baron for the barony of Gilsland are held at Easter and Michaelmas, in the town-hall, a neat octagonal edifice with a cupola, erected by the Earl of Carlisle in 1817, on the site of the former hall, in the market-place, the lower part being formed into a piazza, under which butter, eggs, poultry, &c., are sold on the market-day.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £8; net income, £466; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Carlisle: in 1777, land was assigned in lieu of tithes. The present church was built in 1788, out of the chapel and tenements of an almshouse, and with the materials of the old church, the chancel of which is still remaining on the southern bank of the river Irthing, about a mile west of the town, being used for the performance of the funeral service for those who are interred in the cemetery. The church was greatly enlarged in 1827 at an expense of £1800: on which occasion the Rev. Mr. Ramshay presented five bells and an organ. There are places of worship for Independents, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, and Presbyterians. The poor law union comprises 14 parishes or places, and contains a population, according to the last census, of 10,525.
Two miles east of Brampton, and about a mile south of the Irthing, commanding a fine view of the vale of St. Mary, through which that river flows, is Naworth Castle, the ancient baronial seat of the lords of Gilsland, the earliest notice of which occurs in the 18th of Richard II. The walls, including two large square towers in the front, besides others at the angles, inclose a quadrangular area, each side of which measures 40 paces: the hall, 70 or 80 feet in length, and of proportionate width and height, displays all the magnificence of feudal grandeur; and the chapel, to which there is a descent of several steps, is decorated with a profusion of armour. The dungeons of the castle, which were the prison for the barony, are in their original state; they consist of three cells underground, and one above, and the strong iron rings to which the prisoners were chained are yet remaining. A great portion of this splendid castle was burnt down on the 18th of May, 1844; but it has been restored, as far as practicable, by Viscount Morpeth, eldest son of the Earl of Carlisle. To the north-east of Brampton is a high conical hill called the Mote, about 300 feet above the level of the streets, and from the summit of which, now planted with trees, a most extensive view of the surrounding country is obtained: at some distance from the base are vestiges of an intrenchment, and a breastwork of considerable strength. It is supposed to have been originally a Danish encampment, or probably a place of security for the removal of property in case of invasion, as, from the steepness of the acclivity, a small number of men on the summit might overpower an assailing multitude. It was used as a seat of justice for the barony of Gilsland, and at present forms a link in the chain of telegraphic communication between the northern parts of England and the southern parts of Scotland. To the south of the town is a fine quarry of freestone, where the Romans obtained part of the materials for building the great wall, vestiges of which are still visible. Walton House occupies the site of a station on the wall; and on the rocky banks of the Gelt are some inscriptions of the time of Agricola, one of whose legions was stationed near Brampton.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
NAWORTH, a township in Brampton parish, Cumberland; on the river Irthing and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, near the Roman wall, 2 ½ miles ENE of Brampton. Real property, £4,714. Pop., 557. Houses, 97. Naworth Castle was built, in the 13th century, by Ranulph Dacre; continued in the possession of the Dacres till 1569; passed then, by marriage, to Lord William Howard, the “Belted Will” of traditional lore, and warden of the marches in the time of Elizabeth; and belongs now to the Earl of Carlisle. It stands on the edge of a platform, nearly insulated by a deep gulley; was originally designed for protection against raids from the Scottish Border; was much enlarged and strengthened about 1316; underwent further improvement by Lord William Howard; was severely injured by fire in 1844; has been carefully restored, with retention of its ancient features; consists chiefly of two large square towers, with intervening buildings, and with interior quadrangular court; includes a great hall with walls 7 ½ feet thick, the private apartments of Lord William Howard, a concealed passage from his oratory to a grated aperture at the top of dungeons, and these dungeons themselves with their old appliances of imprisonment; and contains curious old paintings, pieces of tapestry, and suits of armour. An ancient earth-work, probably British, with two encircling ramparts, is S of the castle and near the railway.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Cumberland Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Brampton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Brampton
- Hundred: Eskdale Ward
- Province: York