Bowness-on-Solway is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Alternative names: Bowness
Other places in the parish include: Ainthorn or Anthorn, Drumburgh, Fingland, and Port Carlisle.
Parish registers begin: 1663
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Bowness-on-Solway
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOWNESS, a village, a township, and a parish in Wigton district, Cumberland. The village stands on the Solway frith, adjacent to the Port-Carlisle terminus of the Carlisle and Silloth railway, 11 ½ miles WNW of Carlisle; and has a post office under Carlisle. Its site was occupied by the Roman station Tunnocelum, at the western termination of Severns' wall; many of the houses are believed to have been built of materials of the wall and the station; some vestiges of the wall can still be traced; and a Roman road went hence to Maryport. The township includes also Port-Carlisle. Real property, £3,146. Pop., 484. Houses, 107. The parish contains also the townships of Fingland, Drumburgh, and Anthorn. Acres, 17,947; of which 8,653 are water. Real property, £9,705. Pop., 1,321. Houses, 284. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £393. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is tolerable. Charities, £24.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Ainthorn, or Anthorn, a township in the parish of Bowness, Cumberland; 11 miles north-west of Wigton, on a small lake communicating with Morecombe bay. Pop., in 1801, 170; in 1831, 230. Houses 39. A. P. £631.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Wigton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Wigton
- Hundred: Cumberland Ward
- Province: York