Bootle is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Bootle Fell.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1655
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOOTLE, a village, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district in Cumberland. The village stands on a rivulet, not far from the Whitehaven and Furness railway, about 1¾ mile from the shore, and 6½ S by E of Ravenglass; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Whitehaven. It consists chiefly of a single street; yet possesses interest for tourists in some charming environs; and is a polling-place. A market was formerly held; and there are fairs on 5 April and 24 Sept. The parish comprises 6,652 acres of land and 494 of water. Real property, £4,746. Pop., 901. Houses, 160. The property is much subdivided. Part of the surface is Bootle Fell; and part is the northern skirt and ascent of the Black Combe mountain. Remains of a Roman camp are on Esk-Meals common; and vestiges of a Benedictine nunnery, founded by a daughter of Henry de Boyvill, fourth lord of Millom, are at Seaton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £460. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is partly ancient, of early English date, with Saxon vestiges; underwent repair in 1837; has a pinnacled tower, 90 feet high, built in 1862; and contains an octagonal font of red sandstone, and a brass of Sir Hugh Askew, who was knighted at the battle of Pinkie. There are an Independent chapel, a free school, and a workhouse. The subdistrict contains the parishes of Bootle, Corney, Whitheck, and Whicham, and part of the parish of Millom. Acres, 62,382. Pop., 3,598. Houses, 680. The district comprehends also the subdistrict of Muncaster, containing the parishes of Muncaster, Drigg, Irton, and Waberthwaite, and parts of the parishes of Millom, and St. Bees. Acres of the district, 100,066. Poor-rates in 1866, £2,419. Pop. in 1861, 5,880. Houses, 1,093. Marriages in 1866, 48; births, 214, of which 21 were illegitimate; deaths, 131, of which 35 were at ages under 5 years, and 5 at ages above 85 years. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 401; births, 1,739; deaths, 968. The places of worship in 1851 were 13 of the Church of England, with 3,179 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 200 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 100 s.; and 4 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 497 s. The schools were 16 public day schools, with 631 scholars; 8 private day schools, with 154 s.; and 12 Sunday schools, with 507 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BOOTLE (St. Michael), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 5½ miles (S. S. E.) from Ravenglass, and 282 (N. W. by N.) from London; containing 696 inhabitants. The name of this place, formerly written
Bothill, is supposed to be derived from the booths erected on a hill above the town, for the watchmen whose duty it was to light the beacon on its summit, upon the discovery of any ships in the Irish Channel which might appear to threaten a descent upon the coast. A Benedictine nunnery was founded at Seton, in the parish, by Gunild, daughter of Henry de Boyvill, fourth lord of Millorn; to which Henry IV. annexed the hospital of St. Leonard, in Lancaster. Its revenue, at the Dissolution, was £13. 17. 4.: there are still some remains. The town is pleasantly situated within two miles of the sea; the houses are neatly built, and the inhabitants well supplied with water. The land in the neighbourhood is in a high state of cultivation, and the environs abound with pleasing scenery: the Corney and Bootle Fells, eminences in the adjoining forest of Copeland, afford extensive views; and from Black Coombe, which is nearly 2000 feet high, may be seen the coast of Scotland, the Isle of Man, and the mountains of North Wales. The trade is principally in corn, pork, and bacon, which are sent to Liverpool: the market is on Saturday; and fairs are held on April 5th and Sept. 24th, for the sale of corn, and for hiring servants; and April 26th and August 3rd, for horses, horned-cattle, and sheep.
The parish comprises 5800 acres, of which 900 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £19. 17. 3½., and in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale: the tithes have been commuted for £436, and there are 14 acres of glebe. The church is a very ancient edifice, much modernised by successive repairs; the interior contains some interesting monuments, among which is an effigy on a brass plate of Sir Hugh Askew, and has been lately enlarged. A place of worship for Independents was built in 1780. A free school was founded in 1713, by Henry Singleton, who endowed it with £200, which sum, with subsequent benefactions, produces about £20 per annum. The poor law union of Bootle comprises 12 parishes or places, and contains a population of 5516. At Selker bay, a small inlet of the sea, are sometimes seen the remains of vessels, which are traditionally said to have been Roman galleys, sunk there at the time of an invasion by that people; and at Esk-Meots are vestiges of an encampment, where Roman coins and fragments of altars have been frequently discovered.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Cumberland Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Bootle
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries – Copeland
Rural Deanery: Copeland
Poor Law Union: Bootle
Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward