Bolton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Bolton Low Quarter, Low Bolton, High Bolton, Bolton-wood, Quarry-hill, Bolton Low, Bolton High Hide Quarter, and Bolton High.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1619
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1581
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOLTON, a small town, two townships, and a parish in Wigton district, Cumberland. The town stands on the river Ellen, 6½ miles SSW of Wigton; consists of two parts, High and Low; and has a dingy appearance. A branch railway to it, from the Maryport and Carlisle line, was opened on 26th December, 1866. The townships are High Bolton and Low Bolton or Bolton-wood and Quarry-hill. Acres of H. B., 3,875. Pop., 330. Houses, 62. Acres of L. B., 4,570. Pop., 718. Houses, 149. The parish consists of the two townships; and its Post Town is Ireby under Wigton. Real property, £8,124; of which £740 are in mines. Pop., 1,048. Houses, 211. The property is much subdivided. Coal, limestone, and copper ore are worked. A copper battle-axe was found in a bog. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £512. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is ancient, in tolerable condition; and was alleged by old superstition to have been built by witchcraft.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Wigton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Allerdale
Poor Law Union: Wigton
Hundred: Allerdale below Derwent Ward