Aspatria is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.

Other places in the parish include: Mealhay, Oughterside and Allerby, Aspatria and Brayton, and Mealo.

Parish church: St. Kentigern

Parish registers begin: 1660

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Aspatria

Aspatria

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ASPATRIA, a small town and a township in the district of Wigton, and a parish in the districts of Wigton and Cockermouth, Cumberland.

The town stands on the right side of the river Ellen, adjacent to the Carlisle and Maryport railway, 7¾ miles NE of Maryport. It has a station on the railway, a post office under Carlisle, and a weekly market on Thursday; and is a polling-place. Its site is the side of a hill; and its appearance that of a long straggling village. Its name is a corruption of Aspatrick or Cospatrick; and was derived from one of the Cospatricks, Earls of Dunbar.

ASPATRIA RAILWAY STATION

The township bears the name of Aspatria and Brayton. Acres, 4,511. Real property, £13,551, of which £7,598 are in mines. Pop., 1,210. Houses, 254.

The parish includes also the townships of Hayton and Mealo, and Oughterside and Allerby. Acres, 9,048; of which 438 are water. Real property, £25,368, of which £12,570 are in mines. Pop., 2,305. Houses, 475. The property is much subdivided. The surface is hilly. Coal and red sandstone are worked. A human skeleton, 7 feet long, supposed to have been that of some great chief, buried about the 2nd century, together with a broad sword 5 feet long, and some fine ornaments of a warrior, was found, in 1790, beneath a barrow on Beacon hill, an eminence about 200 yards N of the town.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £249. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1848. Hayton was made a separate charge in 1867, and is a rectory.

There are an Independent chapel, and charities £10.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Queen Street Aspatria Cumberland

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

ASPATRIA (St. Kentigern), a market-town and parish, in the union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; comprising the townships of Aspatria with Brayton, Hayton with Medlo, and Oughterside with Allerby; and containing 1921 inhabitants, of whom 988 are in the townships of Aspatria with Brayton, 9 miles (N. by E.) from Cockermouth.

This village, which derives its name from Gospatrick, father of the first lord of Allerdale, extends for a considerable distance along the side of a hill, and has recently assumed somewhat the character of a town, by the erection of several good and substantial dwelling-houses. A pitched market for corn is held on Thursday.

Market Place Aspatria Cumberland

The parish comprises by measurement 7064 acres, and is bounded on the west by the Solway Frith, and on the south-east and south by the river Ellen. It contains a vein of red freestone at Hayton, and coal at Oughterside. The Maryport and Carlisle railway passes through, and has a station here.

The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £10. 4. 2.; net income, £249; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Carlisle. The tithes were partially commuted in 1817 for land. The church was originally in the Norman style, but there are no remains of its ancient character except two arches.

A place of worship for Independents was built in 1827. In 1790 a barrow was opened in the vicinity, when the skeleton of a man, with the corroded remains of some military weapons, &c., was discovered.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Brayton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BRAYTON, a village in Aspatria parish, Cumberland; adjacent to the Carlisle and-Maryport railway, 2 miles E by N of Aspatria. It has a station on the railway. Brayton Hall, in the vicinity, is the seat of Sir W. Lawson, Bart.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Cumberland Aspatria Workington Brayton Collieries pit pony miner

Mealhay

A New and Comprehensive Gazetteer 1838

Mealhay, tnshp. England, par. Aspatria, Allerdale ward, below Darwent,co. Cumberland. Real prop. £2359. Pop. (with Hayton) 253. Cockermouth (P. T. 306).

Source: A New and Comprehensive Gazetteer: George Newenham Wright, 1838

Oughterside

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

OUGHTERSIDE and ALLERBY, a township in Aspatria parish, Cumberland; on the river Ellen, down to the coast, 5½ miles N W of Maryport. Acres, 2, 466; of which 314 are water. Real property, £5, 491; of which £3, 672 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 662; in 1861, 705. Houses, 141. Coal is largely worked.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch

Use for:
England, Cumberland, Aspatria and Brayton

England, Cumberland, Aspatria – Cemeteries ( 1 )
St. Kentigerns Church, Aspatria : headstones and monuments, etc.

England, Cumberland, Aspatria – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Aspatria and Brayton, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Cumberland, Aspatria – Church records ( 3 )
Births and baptisms, 1826-1837
Author: Independent Church (Aspatria)

Bishop’s transcripts for Aspatria, 1663-1865
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Aspatria (Cumberland)

Parish registers for Aspatria, 1660-1899
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Aspatria (Cumberland)

England, Cumberland, Aspatria – Church records – Indexes ( 7 )
Allerdale burial index
Author: Cumbria Family History Society

Computer printout of Aspatria, Cumb., Eng

Computer printout of Aspatria, Independent, Cumb., Eng

Parish register printouts of Aspatria, Cumberland, England (Independent) ; christenings, 1821-1837
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Aspatria, Cumberland, England ; christenings, 1663-1812
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Aspatria, Cumberland, England ; marriages, 1813-1843
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Aspatria, Cumberland, England, christenings, 1813-1865
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

FreeReg

Place Churches Registers Search
Aspatria Aspatria Independent Chapel Parish Register Search FreeReg

Directories

Kelly’s Directory of the Leather Trades 1880

ASPATRIA
Market day Thursday

Boot & Shoe Makers & Dealers
Fletcher John
Graves John
Hetherington George
Smith Joseph

Clog & Patten Makers
Croster Daniel
Pool James
Thompson John

Coach & Carriage Builder
Ferguson John

Horse Collar & Saddler & Harness Maker
Bell John

Maps

Service Map Topo Aerial Other
Bing Maps UK Map OS maps Aerial Bird’s Eye
StreetMap Map OS maps Convert
Vision of Britain historical maps Map OS maps
Ordnance Survey OS maps See other OS
map links below
Defra’s MAGIC service Map
National Library of Scotland OS maps
Old OS maps OS maps
Old-maps.co.uk OS plans
Where’s the Path? Map
SABRE Maps Map OS maps

Administration

  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Wigton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Allerdale
  • Poor Law Union: Wigton
  • Hundred: Allerdale below Derwent Ward
  • Province: York

Related Parishes