Arthuret is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.

Other places in the parish include: Lyneside Quarter, Netherby, Longtown Quarter, Longtown, Netherby Quarter, Lyneside, Lineside, Breconhill Quarter, and Breconhill.

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1610
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1665

Nonconformists include: Church of Scotland/Scottish Presbyterian, United Presbyterian Church of Scotland, and Wesleyan Methodist. 

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Arthuret

Arthuret church from Woodland Edge. Andy Connor / Arthuret church from Woodland Edge / CC BY-SA 2.0

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ARTHURET, a parish in Longtown district, Cumberland; on the river Esk, and the Border Counties railway, 8 miles N of Carlisle. It contains Longtown, with r. station and post office, the latter under Carlisle; and contains also the townships of Netherby, Breconhill, and Lyneside. Acres, 17,390. Real property, £9,615. Pop., 3,714. Houses, 615. The property is divided among a few.

Much of the surface is the low flat land of Solway moss, stretching toward the head of the Solway frith; and this, in 1543, was the scene of a famous battle in which the Scots under Oliver Sinclair were defeated by the English under Sir Thomas Wharton. Netherby Hall is the seat of Sir F. U. Graham, Bart.; and contains a large collection of Roman coins, tablets, altars, baths, and other relics found in the vicinity.

The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £847. Patron, Sir F. U. Graham, Bart. The church was renovated in 1869. There is an endowed school with £40 a year. Archy Armstrong, court-jester to James I. and Charles I., was a native, and was buried in the churchyard.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

ARTHURET (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Longtown, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, ¾ of a mile (S.) from Longtown; comprising the townships of Breconhill, Lyneside, Longtown, and Netherby, and containing 2859 inhabitants.

This parish is situated on the border of Scotland, where in 1337 a Scottish army crossed, which, marching eastward, destroyed about twenty villages; and at the chapel of Solom, a small oratory which anciently stood near the spot called the Chapel Flosh, commissioners from England and Scotland met in 1343, to settle the boundaries of the respective countries.

On Solom Moss, in 1542, the Scots, 10,000 in number, but discontented with their commander, Oliver Sinclair, a favourite of the Scottish monarch, allowed themselves to be defeated by a small body of about 500 English troops, under the command of Dacres and Musgrave, and it is said that 1000 of them were made prisoners, amongst whom were 200 noblemen, esquires, and gentlemen.

The parish comprises about 11,000 acres, and there are quarries of white and red freestone within its limits. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £3. 2. 1.; net income, £687; patron, Sir J. R. G. Graham, Bart. The church was rebuilt in 1609, with the exception of the tower, which was not erected till 1690: in the churchyard is a rude cross with a pierced capital, near which were interred the remains of Archibald Armstrong, court jester to James I. and Charles I., and a native of the parish.

An artificial tumulus, in the form of a prostrate human figure, near the church, is said to have been raised over the body of a chieftain slain in the above-mentioned battle.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Longtown

Bush Hotel Netherby Street Longtown Cumberland Early 1900s

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LONGTOWN, a town, a township, two sub-districts, and a district in Cumberland. The town stands on the river Esk, adjacent to the North British railway, at the forking of the branches toward Carlisle and Gretna, 3 miles S of the boundary with Scotland, and 8½ N by W of Carlisle.

It was founded, at a remote period, by the Grahams of Netherby; continued, till a recent period, to be only a poor village; is now a well built place, with good modern houses, and regular spacious streets; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling-place; and has a post-office under Carlisle, a railway station, a stone bridge over the Esk, a church of the Church of Scotland, a United Presbyterian church, a United Free Methodist chapel of 1866, and a free school founded in 1754.

Markets are held on Mondays and Thursdays; a fair for horses, on the Thursday before Whitsunday; and hiring fairs, on Whit-Thursday and at Martinmas. Many of the inhabitants are weavers in the employment of manufacturers at Carlisle.

The township includes the town, comprises 2,538 acres, and is in the parish of Arthuret. Real property, £5,810. Pop. in 1851,2,234; in 1861, 2,863. Houses, 497. The increase of pop. arose from the establishment of a bobbin mill, and from the employment of labourers at the forming of the railway.

The two sub-districts are High Longtown and Low Longtown. H. L. sub-d. contains the parishes of Stapleton and Bewcastle, and the chapelry of Nichol-Forest. Acres, 48,637. Pop., 3,291. Houses, 529. L. L. sub-d. contains the parishes of Arthuret, Kirklinton, and Scaleby, and the Moat, Middle, and Nether quarters of Kirk-Andrews-upon-Esk parish. Acres, 38,234. Pop., 7,178. Houses, 1,262.

The district consists of these two sub-districts. Acres, 86,871. Poor rates in 1863, £3,910. Pop. in 1851,9,696; in 1861,10,469. Houses, 1,791. Marriages in 1863,38; births, 259, of which 53 were illegitimate; deaths, 177, of which 66 were at ages under 5 years, and 10 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60,396; births, 2,979; deaths, 1,756.

The places of worship, in 1851, were 7 of the Church of England, with 1,770 sittings; 1 of the Church of Scotland, with 250 s.; 1 of the Presbyterian Church in England, with 300 s.; 2 of the United Presbyterian Church, with 500 s.; 2 of Quakers, with 370 s.; 3 of Wesleyans, with 490 s.; and 1 of the Wesleyan Association, with 35 attendants.

The schools were 17 public day-schools, with 694 scholars; 17 private day-schools, with 614 s.; and 11 Sunday schools, with 772 s. The workhouse is in Netherby township; and, at the census of 1861, had 72 inmates.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch

England, Cumberland, Arthuret – Cemeteries ( 1 )
Arthuret memorial inscriptions (with related newspaper items) & burial register 1838-1930
Author: Cumbria Family History Society

England, Cumberland, Arthuret – Census ( 2 )
Census returns for Arthuret, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

Tidbits : found by Ron Parsley
Author: Parsley, Ron

England, Cumberland, Arthuret – Church records ( 4 )
Arthuret memorial inscriptions (with related newspaper items) & burial register 1838-1930
Author: Cumbria Family History Society

Bishop’s transcripts for Arthuret, 1666-1870
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Arthuret (Cumberland)

Church records, 1624-1830
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Arthuret (Cumberland)

Parish registers for Arthuret, 1622-1941
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Arthuret (Cumberland)

England, Cumberland, Arthuret – Church records – Indexes ( 5 )
Computer printout of Arthuret, Cumb., Eng

Index to the bishop’s transcript for Arthuret, Cumberland, 1687-1812
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Arthuret (Cumberland)

Parish register printouts of Arthuret, Cumberland, England ; christenings, 1666-1788
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Arthuret, Cumberland, England ; marriages, 1790-1855
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Arthuret, Cumberland, England, christenings, 1790-1870
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

England, Cumberland, Arthuret – Names, Personal ( 1 )
Graham monument inscription project for the churchyards of Kirklinton, Kirkandrews on Esk, Rockcliffe, Stapleton, Scaleby and Arthuret in Cumberland County, England
Author: Rasmussen, Delia Graham

England, Cumberland, Arthuret – Obituaries ( 1 )
Arthuret memorial inscriptions (with related newspaper items) & burial register 1838-1930
Author: Cumbria Family History Society

Directories

Kelly’s Directory of the Leather Trades 1880

LONGTOWN

Boot & Shoe Makers & Dealers
Little Peter English street
Tate Robert Albert street

Clog & Patten Makers
Little Peter English street
Marshall William Bridge st
Scott John Swan street

Saddler & Harness Maker
Henry William Bridge street

Maps

Service Map Topo Aerial Other
Bing Maps UK Map OS maps Aerial Bird’s Eye
StreetMap Map OS maps Convert
Vision of Britain historical maps Map OS maps
Ordnance Survey OS maps See other OS
map links below
Defra’s MAGIC service Map
National Library of Scotland OS maps
Old OS maps OS maps
Old-maps.co.uk OS plans
Where’s the Path? Map
SABRE Maps Map OS maps

Administration

  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Longtown
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Carlisle
  • Poor Law Union: Longtown
  • Hundred: Eskdale Ward
  • Province: York

Related Parishes