Allhallows is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1746 from chapelry in Aspatria Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Harby Brow, Unckmanby, Whithall, and Baggry.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1666
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALLHALLOWS, a parish in Wigton district, Cumberland; on the river Ellen, 2 miles SE of Brayton r. station, and 7 SW of Wigton. Post Town, Aspatria under Carlisle. Acres, 1,860. Real property, £2,195. Pop., 256. Houses, 47. The property includes the manors of Baggrey, Harby-Brow. Unckmanby, and Whithall. Coal, lime, and freestone are worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £90. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ALLHALLOWS, a parish, in the union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 6¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Wigton; comprising by admeasurement 1860 acres, and containing 235 inhabitants. This place, which was anciently a chapelry in the parish of Aspatria, is bounded on the south by the river Ellen; and contains some quarries of freestone and limestone, and a vein of coal of inferior quality. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Carlisle. The tithes were partially commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1817. A little southward of Whitehall is an intrenchment twenty-eight yards square, surrounded by a ditch.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Cumberland Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Wigton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Allerdale
Poor Law Union: Wigton
Hundred: Allerdale below Derwent Ward