Cumberland is bounded North by Scotland and part of Northumberland, East by Westmorland and Durham, South by Lancashire, and West by the Irish Sea. It is 80 miles long, and about 40 broad. It is divided into 5 Wards; it has one City, one Borough, and 14 Market Towns. Rivers, the Eden and the Derwent. It is in the Province of York, in the Dioceses of Carlisle, Durham, and Chester, and in the Northern Circuit. It contains 1478 square miles, or 945,920 acres. Population, 178,038.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, Thomas Baty and Jonathan Kirkbride, as Joiners, Cabinetmakers and Upholsterers, at Carlisle, in the county of Cumberland, is this day dissolved by mutual consent, and that all credits owing to the late partnership will be received and all debts paid by the said Thomas Baty.—As witness our hands this 16th day of April 1850. Thomas Baty. Jonathan Kirkbride.
Aldstone Moor, (Cumb.) a market-town, and the most eastern in the county, situate on the declivity of a steep hill near the river Tyne, over which there is an ancient narrow stone bridge of one arch. The town consists ot a number of small houses built of stone, and covered with slate: with few exceptions their general appearance is mean. The church is a neat modern building, beside which there are 5 meeting-houses for Methodists, Quakers, and Independents. This town has a free-school, endowed with 20l. per ann. beside two Sunday schools, and a recently built school house for 200 children, to be educated on the Lancastrian plan. Continue reading “Aldstone Moor Cumberland Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815”