Zennor is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Tendrine, Tregerthen, and Porthmeor.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1599
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ZENNOR, a parish in Penzance district, Cornwall; on the coast, 4¾ miles SW of St. Ives, and 6½ W by N of St. Ives-Road r. station. Post town, St. Ives, Cornwall. Acres, 4,229. Real property, £2,964. Pop., 933. Houses, 166. The property is much subdivided. Gurnards-Head promontory is on the coast; descends precipitously into deep water; consists of slaty felspar, horn-blende, and greenstone; and seems to have been anciently fortified as a cliff-castle. Zennor cliffs extend nearly ½ a mile in the vicinity of Gurnards-Head; are on the junction-line of slate and granite; and have a romantic aspect. Several baylets, one of them called Porth-Zennor Cove, alternate with small headlands. Tin is mined; and stone is largely quarried and exported. Barrows, a kistvaen, a cromlech, and part of a Druidical circle are on the moors. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £179. Patron, the Bishop of E. The church is good; and there are four dissenting chapels, a ruined chapel of ease, and national schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Penzance
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Penwith
- Poor Law Union: Penzance
- Hundred: Penwith
- Province: Canterbury