Stratton is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Bush.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1687
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Presbyterian, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STRATTON, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, a district, and a hundred, in Cornwall. The town stands among hills, near the Bude canal and the Bude railway, 2 miles E of the coast, and 16 NNW of Launceston; occupies the site of the Roman Musidunum; was known, at Domesday, as Stratone; belonged then to the Earl of Mortaigne; adjoins Stamford Hill, where a battle was fought, in 1643, between the royalists and the parliamentarians; is a seat of petty-sessions, and a polling place; and has a post-office, designated Stratton, Cornwall, a banking office, a good inn, an ancient church, a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £18 a year, a workhouse, charities £171, a weekly market on Tuesday, and fairs on 19 May, 8 Nov., and 11 Dec. The parish includes Bude chapelry, extends to the coast, and comprises 2,617 acres of land and 220 of water. Real property, £5,449. Pop., 1,755. Houses, 375. Binhamy or Bimomy castle belonged to the Blanchminsters; passed to the Arundells and the Cartarets; and is now represented by a quadrangular moat in a farm-orchard-The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £201. Patron, the Prince of Wales. The p. curacy of Bude is a separate benefice. The sub-district contains 4 parishes. Acres, 13,683. Pop., 3,392. Houses, 704. The district includes also Kilkhampton and Week-St. Mary sub-districts, and comprises 54,406 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £3,451. Pop. in 1851, 8,580; in 1861, 8,028. Houses, 1,645. Marriages in 1863, 60; births, 254, of which 16 were illegitimate; deaths, 179, of which 43 were at ages under 5 years, and 6 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 589; births, 2,449; deaths, 1,624. The places of worship, in 1851, were 12 of the Church of England, with 4,446 sittings; 13 of Wesleyans, with 1,312 s.; 11 of Bible Christians, with 1,041 s.; and 6 of the Wesleyan Association, with 1,006 s. The schools were 11 public day-schools, with 659 scholars; 17 private day-schools, with 257 s.; and 31 Sunday schools, with 1,345 s. The hundred is mainly identical with the district. Acres, 53,491. Pop. in 1851, 8,210; in 1861, 7,787. Houses, 1,576.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Cornwall Register 1847
STRATTON, is bounded by the sea, Poughill, Launcells, and Marhamchurch. In consideration of his eminent services in the battle on Stamford Hill, Sir Ralph Hopton was, in 1643, created Lord Hopton of Stratton. After his death, which happened in 1654, Charles II. being then in exile, created, in 1658, Sir John Berkeley, to whose courage and good conduct the victory near this town has been chiefly attributed, Baron Berkeley of Stratton: this title became extinct in 1773. In 1797 Lord de Dunstanville was created Baron Basset of Stratton, with remainder to his only daughter, who became on the death of her father, on the 5th February, 1835, Baroness Basset of Stratton.
The manors of Stratton and Binamy have passed through the families of Blanchminster, Hiwis, Tresillian, Coleshill, Arundell, and Grenville, to Lord Carteret, the present proprietor. Binamy castle appears to have been built by Ralph de Blanchminster, about 1335. A moated orchard, near Stratton, on the estate of Binhamy, described in Camden’s Map as a square fort, and called Binnoway, was probably the site.
The manor of Efford or Ebbingford has passed from the Waunfords, Durants, and Arundells of Trerice, to Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, Bart. M.P. When Leland was in Cornwall, between 1536 and 1542, Efford was the residence of Sir John Chamond, who had married the mother of John Arundell, then of Trerice, and widow of Sir John Arundell, the brave naval officer. It was latterly the occasional residence of Wrey I’Ans, Esq. of Whitstone, who died the 16th Sep. 1816. It is now occupied by the Rev. John Symons Avery, Perpetual Curate of St. Michael’s chapel, Bude, which was built and endowed by Sir T. D. Acland, and consecrated the 29th Sep. 1835. In Loudon’s Architectural Magazine, p. 342, vol. II. 1835, will be found a particular description of it, with five engravings, by Mr. Wightwick, the architect. The stone with which it is built is a kind of porphyry, brought from the distant quarries of Trerice. It has seats for 320. A District has been assigned to it, which, in 1841, contained 721 persons. The boundaries, however, should be marked: it is the practice to send a map of a New District only to the Bishop’s Registry, but a copy should always be provided for the use of the chapelry. There was formerly a chapel near the same spot, dedicated to the Holy Trinity and St. Michael; and one at Efford, dedicated to St. Leonard.
In Stratton church is the monument of John Arundell, Esq. 1561, and that of a knight with his effigies in armour; it is supposed to be intended either for Ralph de Blanchminster, or his grandson, Sir John, both lords of the manor. Arundell’s monument is engraved in C. Gilbert’s Cornwall. In the Parish Register is recorded the following remarkable instance of longevity: —
“Elizabeth Cornish, widow, buried the 10th of March, 1691: the daughter of John Veale: baptized Oct. 1578: she was in her 114th year, having lived at least 113 years, 4 months, and 15 days.”
153 persons died of the plague in 1547. In 1729, out of 49 persons buried, 42 fell victims to the small pox.
The great tithes of this parish, and the manor of Sanctuary, belonged to the priory of Launceston. This manor, to which the advowson of the vicarage is attached, was annexed to the Duchy of Cornwall, in 1540. The spot called the Sanctuary is near the church, and occupied by a few cottages. One of the Blanchminster family gave lands of considerable value to the church and poor of this parish, with a portion to the church of Egloskerry. In Stratton church there is an epitaph in memory of John Avery, schoolmaster, who died in 1691, being one of the eight men of the town: much credit seems to be given to him for his attention to these charities.
Improvement has been made in the church of Stratton since the institution of Mr. Killick, the present Vicar. A new vicarage house is also nearly completed.
Vicars instituted, —
- 1634, Dec. 20, Jacob Omey.
- 1635, June 12, William Edwards.
- 1663, Jan. 8. Nicholas PhilHpps.
- 1669, May 14, Samuel Holman.
- 1713, Oct. 28, William Waddon.
- 1752, Nov. 24, Anthony Moore.
- 1763, Aug. 16, Robert Matyn.
- 1804, Feb. 28, John Rowe
- 1809, Feb. 21, John Rowe
- 1833, Jan. 29, Jacob Stephen Hawker.
- 1845, Oct. 31, Richard Henry Killick.
Source: The Cornwall Register. Wallis John; Bodmin; Printed by Liddell & Son 1847
People declared bankrupt and the date of bankruptcy.
Davey William, Bude, Stratton, Cornwall, merchant, June 2, 1829.
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Stratton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Trigg Major
- Poor Law Union: Stratton
- Hundred: Stratton
- Province: Canterbury