St Stephens by Saltash is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Burraton, St Stephen, and Trematon.
- St Stephen by Saltash
- St Stephens
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1545
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Botus Fleming
- St Budeaux, Devon
- Landrake with St Erney
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STEPHEN’S (St.)-by-Saltash, a parish in St. Germans district, Cornwall; on the Hamoaze, and on the West Cornwall railway, around Saltash town and r. station. Post town, Saltash, Cornwall. Acres, 6,901; of which 1,200 are water. Real property, £13,300; of which £3,759 are in Saltash. Pop. in 1851, 2,998; in 1861, 3,287, of whom 1,900 were in Saltash. Houses, 567. Trematon Castle belongs to the Duke of Cornwall; and Ince Castle, now a farmhouse, was a seat of the Earl of Devon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £139. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The p. curacy of Saltash is a separate benefice. Charities, £79.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
People who were declared bankrupt
Ball Nich. Truscott, St. Stephen's, Cornwall, dealer & chapman, Dec. 18, 1824.
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Germans
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: East
- Poor Law Union: St Germans
- Hundred: East (Cornwall)
- Province: Canterbury