St Stephens by Launceston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Langore and Newport.
- St Stephen by Launceston
- St Stephens
- St Stephens with Newport
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1566
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Launceston St Thomas
- North Petherwin, Devon
- Lifton, Devon
- Launceston St Mary Magdalene
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STEPHEN’S (St.), a parish and a sub-district in Launceston district, Cornwall. The parish adjoins Launceston town and r. station; was known at Domesday as Lanson; includes the disfranchised borough of Newport; and has cattle fairs on 12 May, 31 July, and 25 Sept. Post town, Launceston. Acres, 3,905. Real property, £4,340. Pop., 873. Houses, 174. Tredidon and Carnedon are chief residences. A small manganese mine was here, but has been relinquished. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £110. Patrons, the Inhabitants. The original church was collegiate, and was changed in 1126 into an Augustinian priory. The present church stands on a hill, and has a good tower. The sub-district contains 6 parishes and a part. Acres, 28,776. Pop., 3,607. Houses, 697.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
People who were declared bankrupt
Ball Nich. Truscott, St. Stephen's, Cornwall, dealer & chapman, Dec. 18, 1824.
Parish register of St. Stephens by Launceston, Cornwall County, England : baptisms, 1568-1812, burials, 1566-1812 Author: Glencross, Reginald Morshead; Church of England. Parish Church of St. Stephen's (near Launceston, Cornwall)
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Launceston
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Trigg Major
- Poor Law Union: Launceston
- Hundred: East (Cornwall)
- Province: Canterbury