St Stephen in Brannel is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Coombe and Nanpean.
- St Stephens in Brannel
- St Stephens in Branwell
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1694
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STEPHENS (St.)-in-Brannel, a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall; 1½ mile NW of Burngullow r. station, and 4¼ W by N of St. Austell. It has a post-office under St. Austell. Acres, 9,002. Real property, £15,496; of which £3,348 are in mines, £3,286 in quarries, £449 in iron-works, and £797 in railways. Pop. in 1851, 2,711; in 1861, 3,045. Houses, 562. The manor was known at Domesday as Bernel, and belonged then to the Earl of Mortaigne. Large quantities of fine china-stone and porcelain-earth are sent hence to Staffordshire. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £780. Patron, the Hon. G. M. Fortesene. The church is Norman, with a detached tower. There are national schools and four alms-houses.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
People declared bankrupt and the date of bankruptcy.
Easterbrook Rich., St. Stephen’s, Branwell, Cornwall` clay merch, July 3, 1829.
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Austell
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Powder
- Poor Law Union: St Austell
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury