St Sampson is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cornwall, created in 1737 from chapelry in Tywardreath Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Golant, St Sampsons Golant
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1568
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist and Roman Catholic.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SAMPSON (St.), a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall; on the river Fowey and the Cornwall railway, 3½ miles S by E of Lostwithiel. Post-town, Fowey, under Par Station. Acres, 1,470. Real property, £1,650; of which £10 are in mines. Pop., 311. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. A castle of the Earls of Salisbury stood at Castle-Dore. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £53. Patron, W. Rashleigh, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Austell
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Powder
- Poor Law Union: St Austell
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury