St Michael Penkevil is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Motherlane.
- St Michael Penkivel
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1546
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MICHAEL-PENKEVIL (ST.), a village and a parish in Truro district, Cornwall. The village stands 1½ mile from Mopas ferry on St. Clement’s creek, and 4 SE of Truro r. station; and has a post office, under Probus, Cornwall. The parish comprises 1,189 acres. Real property, £984. Pop., 194. Houses, 35. The manor belonged to the Penkevils; passed to the Courtenays, the Carminows, and the Boscawens; and belongs now to Viscount Falmouth. Tregonian and Nancarrow are old seats. The rocks are slaty, and have traces of copper. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £156. Patron, Viscount Falmouth. The church was originally a fine structure of the 13th and the 14th centuries; was partly restored, partly rebuilt, subsequent to 1859; a buttressed tower, including a curious oratory with a stone altar; and contains a metal tablet of 1515 to the Rev. John Trembrass, and a monument by Rysbrach to Admiral Boscawen.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Truro
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Powder
- Poor Law Union: Truro
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury