St Michael Carhays is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Carhayes Barton, Polgrain, and Barton.
- Michael Carhayes
- St Michael Caerhays
- St Michael Carhayes
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1588
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MICHAEL-CARHAYES, a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall; on Veryan bay, 3 miles SE by E of Tregony, and 6 S by E of Grampound-Road r. station. Post town, St. Austell. Acres, 870. Real property, £994. Pop., 173. Houses, 34. All the property, except the glebe, belongs to J. M. Williams, Esq. The mansion of the Trevanion s once stood here; and a castellated Gothic building, by the architect of Buckingham palace, now occupies its site; and has, in the wall of its entrance gallery, a stone sculptured with the royal arms, supposed to be of the time of one of the Edwards. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £180. Patron, the Hon. G. M. Fortescue. The church has a castellated tower; contains old helmets, swords, and gauntlets of the Trevanion family, including a sword wielded by Sir Hugh Trevanion at Bosworth field; and was recently restored.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Austell
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Powder
- Poor Law Union: St Austell
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury