St Mewan is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Burganlo and Trewoon.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1693
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MEWAN (ST.), a village and a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall. The village stands near the Cornwall railway, 1½ mile SW by W of St. Austell r. station; and is a considerable but primitive place. The parish contains also the hamlets of Burganlo and Trewoon. Post town, St. Austell. Acres, 2,632. Real property, £2,954; of which £540 are in quarries. Pop., 1,227. Houses, 238. St. Mewan’s Beacon is a hill of greenstone rock, rising 385 feet above sea-level. Copper and tin are found; and there are traces of silver and gold. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £284. Patron, R. Taylor, Esq. The church has lost the uppermost stage of its tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Austell
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Powder
- Poor Law Union: St Austell
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury