St Merryn is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Trevethan.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1688
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1616
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MERRYN (ST.), a parish in St. Columb district, Cornwall; on the coast, 2 miles WSW of Padstow, and 15 WNW of Bodmin-Road r. station. It has a post office under Padstow, Cornwall, and a fair on the Monday before 22 June. Acres, 3,928; of which 130 are water. Real property, £5,012. Pop., 570. Houses, 109. The property is subdivided. Harlyn was, till recently, the seat of the Peter family, and commands a splendid seaview. The surface is exceedingly diversified; and the coast is lined by high rugged cliffs. The rocks are crystalline and schistose, and include veins of lead and antimony. Roofing slate is quarried; and a dark-coloured trap, almost equal to marble, is worked. A small quay, constructed in 1794, is under Catacluse cliff. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £257. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient and pretty good; was partly rebuilt of Catacluse stone; and contains a curiously carved trap-rock font. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians. A church formerly stood near Harlyn, and has left some remains.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Columb
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Court of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 - None, Post-1847 - Pydar
- Poor Law Union: St Columb Major
- Hundred: Pyder
- Province: Canterbury