St Martin by Looe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Longcoe and St Kaynne near Looe.
- St Martin
- St Martin near Liskeard
- St Martin’s
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
- East and West Looe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MARTIN (ST.), a parish in Liskeard district, Cornwall; on Looe bay and the river Looe, 4½ miles SSW of Menheniot r. station, and 6½ S by E of Liskeard. It contains the town of East Looe; and its Post town is Looe, under Liskeard. Acres, 3,199; of which 130 are water. Real property, exclusive of East Looe, £2,802; inc. of East Looe, £4,622. Pop., exc. of East Looe, 343. Houses, 71. Pop., inc. of East Looe, 1,497. Houses, 276. The manor was known, at Domesday, as Lant Martin; and it took its name from St. Martin du Tours. About 250 acres are under wood. The coast is noticed in the articles on East Looe and West Looe. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £481. Patron, alternately the Dowagcr Countess of Sandwich and the Duke of Cleveland. The church stands on high ground above East Looe, and is ancient but good. The town of East Looe, jointly with that of West Looe, forms a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Liskeard
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: West
- Poor Law Union: Liskeard
- Hundred: West (Cornwall)
- Province: Canterbury