St Kew is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Pendoggett, Trelill, and Chapel Amble.
Alternative names: Lanho, Lanowe
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KEW (ST.), a village and a parish in Bodmin district, Cornwall. The village stands on the river Amble, 4½ miles NNE of Wadebridge, and 11 NW by N of Bodmin Road r. station; bears the name of St. Kew Churchtown; and has a fair on 3 April. The parish comprises 7,514 acres. Post town, Wadebridge, Cornwall. Real property, £8,192. Pop. in 1851, 1,337; in 1861, 1,182. Houses, 255. The decrease of pop. arose from discontinuance of mining operations, and from emigration. The property is subdivided. The manor was known at Domesday as Languit. Trewane was the seat of the Nichollses, and is now a farm house. There are several barrows and beacons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £520. Patron, Mrs. Every. The church is ancient, in fair condition; has old painted glass, illustrative of the lives of Christ and Jesse; and contains monuments of the Webbers. There are Methodist chapels, and charities £26.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Bodmin
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Trigg Minor
- Poor Law Union: Bodmin
- Hundred: Trigg
- Province: Canterbury