St Just in Roseland is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: St Mawes and Trethewell.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
JUST-IN-ROSELAND (ST.), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Truro district, Cornwall. The village stands on St. Just creek, on the E side of Falmouth harbour, 3 ½ miles by water NE of Falmouth r. station, and 7 SSE of Truro; and has a post office, of the name of St Just Lane, under Grampound, Cornwall. The parish contains also the town castle of St. Mawes. Acres 4,192; of which 1590 are water. Real property £4,190 Pop., 1546. Houses, 337. Part of the land belonged to St. Anthony's priory. St. Just creek has, at its mouth, the old Lazaretto station of Falmouth harbour; and includes St. Just's Pool, where vessels used to perform quarantine. Traces of an old circular fort are on Bartini Hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value £425. Patron, C. H. T. Hawkins, Esq. There are a chapel of ease at St Mawes, chapels for Wesleyans, Calvinistic Methodists, and Bryanites, a national school, and a free school. Ruins of an ancient chapel are at Rosecassa. The sub-district contains also five other parishes. Acres 18,448. Pop., 4,737. Houses, 1,069.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
People who were made bankrupt and the date of bankruptcy.
Blake Robert, St. Mawes, Cornwall, rope and twine manufact., March 30, 1830.
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Truro
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Powder
- Poor Law Union: Truro
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury