St Gerrans is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. St Anthony in Roseland is a chapelry of St Gerrans.
Other places in the parish include: Porthscatho and Porthskatho.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GERRANS, a village and a parish in Truro district, Cornwall. The village stands on the W side of a bay of its own name, and near the head of St. Mawe’s harbour., 7 miles SW by S of Tregony, and 7½ SSE of Truro r. station; is alleged to have been founded by Gerennius, a king of Cornwall, in the latter part of the 6th century; and has a post office under Grampound. The parish contains also the hamlet of Porthskatho. Acres, 2,870; of which 215 are water. Real property, £3,752. Pop., 935. Houses, 215. The manor belonged formerly to the bishops of Exeter. An ancient earthwork, called Dungerein, situated N of the church, and communicating with the shore by a subterranean passage, is regarded as a vestige of a fort or palace of a King Gerennius. The rocks include slate. Gerrans bay has a semicircular outline, and measures about 2½ miles across the chord. A fine specimen of a raised beach, consisting of pebbles cemented into conglomerate by oxide of iron, is on its E shore. The living of Gerrans is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Valne, £258. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church stands on an eminence, with a fine view, and contains a monument to the Hobbe family. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following people were sent to the debtors prison:
John Merifield late of Gerrans Cornwall Master Mariner In the Gaol of Bodmin - London Gazzetter 1851
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Truro
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Court of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 – None, Post-1847 – Powder
- Poor Law Union: Truro
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury