St Erth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Praze.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1563
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Methodist, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ERTH (St.), a village and a parish in Penzance district, Cornwall. The village stands on the river Hayle, near the head of St. Ives bay, and near Hayle and St. Ives-Road r. station, 4 miles NE of Marazion; has a bridge, said to be 500 years old; has also, on an eminence, in its centre, an ancient cross, with rude sculpture of a figure of Christ; had once copper mills, which are now used for rolling and hammering iron; and has a fair on 18 Sept. The parish comprises 4,092 acres; and its post town is Hayle. Real property, £8,118; of which £669 are in mines, £106 in ironworks, and £287 in railways. Pop., 2, 558. Houses, 493. Trewinnard, now a farm-house, belonged to the Trewinnards, the Mohuns, and others; became the residence of Sir Christopher Hawkins, Bart.; and now belongs to Heywood Hawkins, Esq. Some remains of tapestry are in this house; and the ruin of a gilt coach, said to have been the first carriage introduced to Cornwall, is at the stables. Tredrea was the seat of Davies Gilbert, Esq., president of the Royal Society. An ancient camp occurs at Bosence; and there are fragments of an ancient chapel. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £249. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church stands near the bridge at the village; is old, and contains some monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ERTH, ST., a parish, in the union of Penzance, E. division of the hundred of Penwith, W. division of Cornwall, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Marazion; containing 2452 inhabitants. The parish includes part of the town of Hayle, and is situated on the river Hayle, over which is a bridge near the church. It comprises 4092 acres, of which 1454 are common land or waste; the surface is undulated, and mines of copper and tin are worked, for the latter of which there are three smeltinghouses. The village of Churchtown is extensive and well inhabited. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 1. 0½., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, the impropriators, whose tithes have been commuted for £402, and those of the vicar for £280; there is a glebe of 106 acres. The church, a neat edifice, containing nearly 600 sittings, is situated on the bank of the river, near the bridge. There are places of worship for Calvinists and Wesleyans. In the churchyard, and in the village, are the remains of ancient crosses; and near the vicarage-house is a double circular intrenchment, called Carhangives, supposed to have been the site of a baronial castle.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Penzance
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Penwith
- Poor Law Union: Penzance
- Hundred: Penwith
- Province: Canterbury