St Dennis is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cornwall, created in 1850 from chapelry in St Michael Carhays Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: St Denys
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1687
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DENNIS (St.), a village and a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall. The village stands 5 miles SE of St. Columb-Major, and 5 NW of St. Austell r. station; and has a post office under St. Austell, and fairs on 23 May and 24 October. The parish comprises 3,100 acres. Real property, £3,567; of which £1,311 are in quarries. Pop., 993. Houses, 198. Most of the property belongs to Lady Grenville. The rocks include tin and porcelain clay; and are mined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £253. Patron, Hon. G. M. Fortescue. The church stands on a hill. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £39.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
DENNIS (St.), a parish, in the union of St. Austell, E. division of Powder hundred and of Cornwall, 5½ miles (S. E. by S.) from St. Columb Major: containing 828 inhabitants. It comprises 3100 acres, of which 1139 are common or waste. There are some tin streams in the parish; and clay, used in the manufacture of china, is found. The living is a rectory not in charge, annexed, with that of St. Stephen’s, to the rectory of St. Michael Caerhays: the tithes have been commuted for £260. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Austell
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Powder
- Poor Law Union: St Austell
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury