St Day is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cornwall, created in 1829 from chapelry in Gwennap Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Gwennap Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1833
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptists, Bible Christians, Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DAY (St.), a village and a chapelry in Gwennap parish, Cornwall. The village stands on an eminence, near Scorrier-Gate r. station, and 2¼ miles E by N of Redruth: commands a view of a wondrous mining region around it; and has a post office under Scorrier, and a fair on 25 July. The chapelry was constituted in 1835. Rated property, £7, 874. Pop., 3,907. The property is much subdivided. The great consolidated and united mines are here; they extend about 2 miles in length, and penetrate about 1,740 feet in depth; they have produced more copper annually since 1822 than any other mines in Cornwall; and they have railroad communication with Devoran and Portreath. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £170. Patron, the Vicar of Gwennap. The church was built in 1828, and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Bryanites. A chapel once stood here, which was a great resort of pilgrims.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
DAY, ST., a chapelry, in the parish of Gwennap, union of Redruth, hundred of Kerrier, county of Cornwall, 7 miles (W.) from Truro. This place is situated on an eminence in the centre of an extensive mining district, and is inhabited chiefly by persons employed in the surrounding works: it is large, neatly built, and supplied with water brought from a distance of three-quarters of a mile, by iron-pipes and machinery laid down in 1828, at a cost of £700. A market for provisions is held every Saturday, in a square area inclosed by a dwarf wall surmounted by an iron palisade; in the centre is a neat stone tower, with a lock-up house, erected in 1831, at an expense of £400. A fair is held on the Tuesday after July 29th. Within half a mile of the village is a railway leading to the port of Deveron, on the Restronget creek, belonging to Falmouth harbour; also a railroad to Portreath, on the Bristol Channel. The living is a perpetual curacy, the net income of which has been augmented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to £150; patron, the Vicar of Gwennap; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The chapel, a neat edifice in the later English style, with a tower and spire, was erected in 1828, by subscription, aided by a grant of £3000 from the Parliamentary Commissioners. There was formerly a chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity, which has been demolished: the tower was taken down not long before the year 1780. The Baptists, Bryanites, and Wesleyans have places of worship.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Redruth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Kerrier
- Poor Law Union: Redruth
- Hundred: Kerrier
- Province: Canterbury