St Columb Minor is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. Newquay is a chapelry of St Columb Minor.
Other places in the parish include: Trencreek.
Alternative names: St Minor Columb
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLUMB-MINOR (St.), a parish in St. Columb district, Cornwall; on the coast, 5 miles W by S of St. Columb-Major, and 11 NNW of Grampound Road r. station. It has a fair on 9 June; and its post town is Newquay, under St. Columb, Cornwall. Acres, 5,897; of which 335 are water. Real property, £6,796. Pop., 2,067. Houses, 446. The property is much subdivided. The rocks include good shelly sandstone. A blow-hole, with a high jet of water, in certain states of the tide, is at the small harbour of Lower-St. Columb-Porth. A priory was founded at Rialton, near the church, about the end of the 15th century, by Thomas Vyvyan; and some interesting remains of it were lately extant, but are now much mutilated. Rialton gave title to the statesman, Sidney Godolphin. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £117. Patron, Lord Churston. The church is large and good; and has an old rood-loft.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Columb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pydar
- Poor Law Union: St Columb Major
- Hundred: Pyder
- Province: Canterbury