St Breward is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Alternative names: Simonward
Other places in the parish include: Lower Lanke.
Parish church: St. Bruard; St Breward
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
Parishes Adjacent to St Breward
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BREWARD (St.), or Simonward, a parish in Camelford district, Cornwall; on the river Lank, under Brown Willey mountain, 7 miles N by E of Bodmin, and 8½ N by W of Bodmin Road r. station. Post Town, St. Tudy, under Bodmin. Acres, 9,237. Real property, £2,860. Pop., 705. Houses, 143. The property is subdivided. The surface is prevailingly Moorish, upland, and rugged; but encloses fine scenes, and commands fine prospects. Brown Willey and Rough Tor mountains figure conspicuously in the landscape. Hanter-Gantick, 1 mile S of the church-town, is a deep romantic valley, sometimes called the Cornish Valley of rocks. Granite is quarried; and slate is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is partly Norman, and in fair condition.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Breward (St.), or Simonward, 6 m. N.E. Bodmin. P. 724
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BREWARD, ST., or Simonward (St. Bruard), a parish, in the union of Camelford, hundred of Trigg, E. division of Cornwall, 6¾ miles (N. by E.) from Bodmin; containing 724 inhabitants. It comprises 9230 acres, of which 2780 are common or waste. The surface is boldly undulated; and the lofty hills of Rough Tor (contracted into Rowtor) and Brown Willy are both within the limits of the parish. From the latter, which is 1368 feet above the level of the sea, a most extensive view is obtained over the English and Bristol Channels; and on the summit of the former are the remains of an ancient building supposed to have been a chapel, and a Logan stone. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter: the tithes have been commuted for £150 payable to the Dean and Chapter, and £290 payable to the vicar, who has also 70 acres of glebe. The church is an ancient structure, partly Norman, and partly in the later style of English architecture. There are some circles of stones in the vicinity of the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Breward (St.), or Simonward, a parish in the hundred of Trigg, county of CORNWALL, 6¼ miles (N. by E.) from Bodmin, containing 554 inhabitants. The living is a discharged Vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cornwall, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is dedicated to St. Bruard. Within this parish are the lofty hills, Rough Tor (by contraction Rowtor), and Brown Willy, from the summits of which there is a view of the English and Bristol channels.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Marriages at St Breward 1558 to 1812
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Family History Links
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Camelford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Trigg Minor
- Poor Law Union: Camelford
- Hundred: Trigg
- Province: Canterbury