St Blazey is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cornwall, created in 1844 from St Austell Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1710
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BLAZEY (St.), a small town and a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall. The town stands under an amphitheatre of wooded heights, 1 mile NNW of Par r. station, and 4 ENE of St. Austell. It took its name from Blaise, Bishop of Sebaste, in Armenia, who is said to have landed at Par in the third century, and to have suffered martyrdom in 316. It has a post office under Par station, and an inn; and is a centre of traffic for the neighbouring mines; and fairs are held at it on 2 Feb. and 4 July. The parish includes also Par-harbour. Acres, 1,797. Real property, £28,514; of which £21,505 are in mines, and £1,063 in canal. Pop., 4,224. Houses, 876. The property is divided among a few. Granite and slate are quarried; tin and iron ores are worked; and there is a large iron foundry. Much scenery within the parish and in the neighbourhood is picturesque and romantic. Prideaux, the seat of Sir Colman Rashleigh, Bart., an ancient edifice, with granite stairs, is on a height above the town; and Prideaux Warren, the remains of an ancient earth-work, is on an adjacent height. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £120. Patron,-Carlyon, Esq. The church has an effigies of St. Blaise; and is good. There are Wesleyan Methodist, Primitive Methodist, and United Free Methodist chapels. The vicarage of Biscovey or Par is a separate benefice. R. Allen, who brought polite stone into use, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BLAZEY (ST.), a parish, in the union of St. Austell, E. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from St. Austell; containing 3284 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1480 acres, of which 71 are common or waste; the surface is hilly, and in the lower grounds is subject to inundation. The substratum is rich in mineral produce, and mines of copper and tin are extensively wrought. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of Col. Carlyon: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £120, and the vicarial for the same amount. A church district named Par was formed in 1846 out of the parishes of St. Blazey and Tywardreth, by the Ecclesiastical Commission. There are places of worship for Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Austell
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Powder
- Poor Law Union: St Austell
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury