St Anthony in Roseland is a chapelry of St Gerrans Ancient Parish in Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Bohurrow.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1660
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1623
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ANTHONY-IN-ROSELAND (St.), a parish in Truro district, Cornwall; on the English Channel and the E side of Falmouth harbour, 3 miles E of Falmouth, and 9½ S of Truro r. station. Post Town, St. Mawes under Grampound. Acres, 682 of land, and 435 of water. Real property, £1,200. Pop., 169. Houses, 28. St. Anthony’s Head projects into the sea at the mouth of Falmouth harbour; and is crowned by a lighthouse, showing a white flashing light 65 feet high, visible at the distance of 12 miles. The Old Wall rock, with 26 feet of water, lies off the headland. A bed of shell, 30 feet above high-water mark, occurs at Porth. Place House, a seat of Sir S. T. Spry, adjoins the church, and occupies the site of an Augustinian priory, which was founded in 1124, by Warlewast, Bishop of Exeter, and was a cell to Plympton. The living is a donative in the diocese of Exeter. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir S. T. Spry. The church is a beautiful small structure in early English, with a Norman doorway; was recently restored by Sir S. T. Spry; and contains a monument, by Westmacott, to Admiral Sir Richard Spry.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ANTHONY (St.) in Roseland, a parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 9¼ miles (S. W. by S.) from Tregoney; containing 144 inhabitants. It lies at the extreme point of Roseland, a verdant and bold promontory, connected on the north by a narrow isthmus with the parish of Gerrans. The living is a donative, in the patronage of the family of Spry: the tithes have been commuted for £118. The church, beautifully situated on the border of a navigable lake separating this parish from St. Mawes, contains some handsome monuments to the Spry family, of which one, by Westmacott, is to the memory of Sir Richard Spry, Rear-Admiral of the White. An Augustine priory, subordinate to that of Plympton in the county of Devon, existed here till the general Dissolution; its remains have been converted into a private residence called Place House.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Truro
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Court of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 – None, Post-1847 – Powder
- Poor Law Union: Truro
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury